Sunday, November 11, 2007

THIS ASSHAT BLOGS ABOUT SURVIVOR CHICKEN

Great title, huh?

It's Sunday morning at 11:11 as I begin this blog entry. I believe it's going to take about 50 minutes to complete it.

Being Sunday, and November in Wisconsin, this means only one thing to most of the population. No, it's not church. It's Packer football. Yes, I am one of the devoted followers. And while I may not eat, drink and breathe everything Green Bay Packers, I am a huge fan. In fact, I'm an owner. Yes, I am one of the shareholders of Green Bay Packers Inc. I own one share. What does that get me? Not much. The stock has no monetary value. It's basically worthless. But it does offer one thing - pride of ownership. Oh, and it also lets me attend the annual shareholders' meeting in July. I went one year. It's very boring. It's all pie charts and revenue information. However, I think I may go again this year. Now that the novelty has worn off, the actual number of people who attend those meetings has dwindled down to maybe 20 or 30. And last year, those lucky folks got a guided tour of Lambeau Field. They also got free ice cream. Yes, myself (and a guest of my choosing) are going this summer.

So anyway, this leads me to Survivor Chicken. What is this you say? Well, several years ago, my wife and I stole a recipe from my dad. We tinkered with it a little bit, and came up with a beauty of a meal. We began a tradition of eating this meal on Thursday nights at 7:00 - when one of our favorite shows (Survivor) starts.

These days, as my wife and I are eating healthier, we haven't followed the tradition. But we're making it today. My parents are coming down today, and will be here by noon - kickoff for Packers Vs. Vikings. It's also the day we're celebrating my dad's birthday. So we thought we'd make our favorite meal.

Here's what it looks like right now.



Here are the tools of the trade.



What exactly is the recipe? Well, you put a little olive oil in the pan, then place the chicken (we prefer all thighs) in it. Then the key ingredient - McCormick's original chicken seasoning. You douse the chicken with it. See below.



Then you just cook it. When it's close to done, you boil some rice on the stove as well. Once the chicken is done, and removed from the pan, you take the boiled rice, and dump it into the chicken pan. Then you mix it up with all the cooked chicken residue. Note, if there's too much grease in the pan, use a baster to remove some of it. You don't want the rice to be swimming. Look down to see it.



Then it's time to eat. Personally, we like to take that chicken seasoning and douse the rice with it as well. And I like to take the chicken skin off, and mix it in with the rice. Yes, I know full well that chicken skin isn't the most healthy thing to eat. But damn! It's ever so tasty! And like I said, we haven't eaten this meal in a long time.

This dish may be the main (non-sexual) reason I will never leave my wife. That and the fact that she's so darn beautiful.

Oh, incidentally, I was bored the other day. So I did an internet search for "survivor chicken." And amazingly, I found this. SURVIVOR CHICKEN Incidentally, his recipe is completely different from ours. But his name origin is exactly the same. Interesting.

Got to go. It's kickoff, and time to eat!

5 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Looks tasty.

Unfortunately, I have no use for the show the dish gets its moniker from.

However, my wife n' I have been enjoying Spanish cinema lately.

We'll call it Almodovar Chicken.

JJ said...

I don't eat meat. And I hate Survivor. But because I'm fond of you and your wife is beautiful, I'll eat your rice.

While you and your wife are eating Survivor Chicken and Jeff and his wife are watching/eating Almodovar Chicken, I'll be watching "The Story of One" and eating Lonely Heart Steamed Veggies.

Chickenkiller.

JJ said...

P.S. Asshat is a smokin fabulous word.

TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I don't know if I've ever heard the term "asshat" before. But the way you use it seems to work. I can "hear" it flow off your tongue with ease. And in that respect, it's quite funny - in a juvenile way. And I like that. In fact, it's kind of a turn-on.

You may have some of our rice. We'll eat the chicken.

Wouldn't pants be a form of an asshat?

And Jesus, isn't it like 2:30 in the morning there? What are you doing up?

JJ said...

Jenny no sleepy!!!! Ever!!!!!!

Jenny going crazy!!!!!!!

Pants...asshat.....oh! I just got it.

Ha. That's funny.