Friday, March 02, 2007

VERIZON SUCKS!

Below is a copy of the complaint letter that I sent to Verizon today. I sent it to eight different Verizon corporate addresses. Is my anger justified?
***********************************

March 2, 2007

Dear Verizon,

My name is Brother Walrus. My account number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I had two land-line phone numbers with you – 1-XXX-XXX-9999 and 1-XXX-XXX-2193. Our DSL service was attached to the “2193” number.

On Monday February 19, 2007, I called Verizon. My wife and I decided to disconnect the “2193” line. So I called to do just that. I informed the Verizon employee that my DSL service was connected to the “2193” number, and that we would need that to be connected to the “9999” number instead. He assured me that could be done. He also informed me that a service technician would not have to come out to our house, as everything could be done internally. I confirmed with him several times that we would not have ANY interruption with our DSL service. He assured me that we would not. He even said it would be a “seamless transition.” Again, I confirmed this with him several times. I believe the order number was L2165266. He told me that the process would take 5-7 days.

Later that week, I lifted up the phone on the “2193” number and found that there was no dial tone. I thought it was odd that the “9999” number wasn’t providing a dial tone. But regardless, the 5-7 day timeframe hadn’t passed yet. So I assumed Verizon was simply in the process of doing what they needed to do.

Then on Monday, February 26, 2007, my wife called to inform me that the DSL service was down. So I called Verizon to find out what was going on. I was then informed that I had placed some sort of “move order” and that the DSL service was in fact disconnected. I was then placed on hold several times and transferred from one person to the next. Eventually I spoke with a woman who informed me that it would be impossible to do the switch internally, as the “2193” phone jack would need to be rewired for the “9999” number. Needless to say, I was very angry. This is NOT what the Verizon employee told me when I placed the order on February 19th. I was assured time and again that there would be no interruption.

I ended up being on the phone for a little over an hour. I was demanding that somebody do something to fix the situation. I was told that it was too late, and that there was nothing that anyone can do, other than schedule a phone jack rewiring and a reconnect of the DSL service. I asked if they could reverse the order. I was told no. I asked if they could expedite the order. Again, I was told no. The best they could do was start the process again. I was told that the DSL would be restored by March 12, 2007. So I went ahead and scheduled the DSL to be hooked back up. I also scheduled a technician to come out and rewire the phone jack. In regards to the rewiring, I was given two options. I could either have someone come out on Thursday, March 1, 2007 between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM. Or I could choose Friday, March 2, 2007 between 8:00 AM and 12:00 PM. Obviously I went with the Friday choice, as a four-hour window is far better than a 12-hour window. I was told that there would be no charge for the rewiring, as I have some sort of “line maintenance” option on the phone. As I was still angry, I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told that none were available, but that one would call me back within 24 hours.

The next 24 hours passed with no call from a Verizon supervisor. So I took the initiative to call them back myself. In the course of the phone call, I was once again transferred from one person to the next. At one point, I was on hold for a total of 40 minutes! In the end, the entire phone call lasted over 2.5 hours. During that time period, I estimate that I was on hold for about two hours and 20 minutes.

I did eventually speak to a supervisor. The supervisor apologized several times, but reiterated that there was nothing he could do to fix the situation immediately. In frustration I told him I wanted to disconnect everything. He said ok, and transferred me to somebody else.

The next woman I spoke with asked me why I was canceling everything. I told her my story, and said unless she can do something, I wanted to terminate all my services. She gave me the same story, while apologizing. Finally I asked her if I could get some sort of compensation for all the trouble. She then said she could do a one-time credit of $29.99 for all the trouble Verizon had caused. It’s a bit mind-boggling that I had to ask for it myself, as opposed to it being offered to me. But nonetheless, based on the compensation, I accepted the offer. I once again confirmed with her that the technician would be coming out on Friday March 2, 2007 between 8:00 AM and 12:00 PM. I also confirmed that the DSL would be hooked up by March 12, 2007. She confirmed both dates. She also mentioned that the DSL could be back up a few days prior to March 12th. I believe the order number (perhaps credit number) was CICNO 48017283.

My wife rearranged her schedule so she could be home on March 2, 2007 for the technician. Unfortunately, no one ever showed up. So once again, I was on the phone with Verizon. This time I got a recording that said something to the effect of “my wait time may be longer than expected, due to heavy call volume.” (Big surprise.) When I got to speak to someone, the woman informed me that there was no technician scheduled for March 2nd. Instead, she showed that the technician was scheduled for Tuesday, March 6, 2007 between 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM! First of all, this is NOT the appointment I made. Second, I would never schedule an appointment for that time, as my daughter has her dance class during that timeframe.

What is going on here??? How can one company make one mistake after another?

Again, I was shuffled from one department to another. I believe I spoke with five different people. During my conversation with the fourth person, she looked through her system and did confirm that there was a technician scheduled to come out on March 2nd. But she also showed that a technician was scheduled to come out on March 6th. She couldn’t provide me any explanation as to what happened. So she did what everybody else had done – she put me on hold and transferred me to another department.

I ended up speaking with a man who apologized to me, but said his system showed nothing scheduled for March 2nd. I told him that the woman who transferred me to him DID show the original appointment scheduled for March 2nd. He literally said to me, “I wish I knew who that person was.” I then asked him to tell me who made the appointment for Tuesday March 6th. Because I certainly didn’t! He told me his computer didn’t show that information. If it did, I would be including that person’s name in this letter. If Tuesday March 6th wouldn’t work for me (which it didn’t) the best he could do was reschedule for Monday, March 12, 2007! Anyway, the man told me he would try to expedite the order to see if someone could come out on the afternoon of March 2nd. I asked him if someone would call me back one way or the other to let me know. He assured me that someone would. I can’t begin to tell you how thrilled my wife was at the prospect of having her entire day compromised, instead of just the morning. The entire phone call with Verizon lasted over an hour.

True to his word, someone from Verizon called me back about an hour later. The woman informed me that there was simply no way someone could come out on March 2nd. However, she did say that they would get someone out on Monday March 5, 2007 between 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM. As a courtesy, she provided a $25.00 credit for the inconvenience.

As I’m writing this, my anger with Verizon is intense. At the very least, we are without internet service for two weeks. Assuming it does get reinstated on March 12th, I fully anticipate having to contact Verizon to adjust my bill, as I’m fairly certain there will be no credit for the missed time.

What I can’t understand is how a legitimate company like Verizon could possibly make so many mistakes. I know you record all conversations for “quality assurance.” I would really like someone to go back and listen to my calls – especially the initial one on February 19th. His “seamless transition” has turned into two weeks of hell and five hours on the phone with Verizon – of which 4.5 hours of the time was spent on hold!

This disruption has affected two of the three online businesses that my wife and I run. It’s hard to run an online business when you can’t get online! And why is it that when we wanted to sign up with Verizon, there was virtually no wait time. Yet when we have a problem, we’re on hold forever? Your wait times are intolerable! Your process of transferring people between one department and another is also intolerable. As a consumer, I expect a lot more from my phone company. This entire episode has given us thoughts about dumping Verizon altogether.

I would love to have a reply to my concerns.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled Walrus

*************************************************************

UPDATE - 3/16/07 - Well, as you know, Verizon was scheduled to come out to my house Monday March 5, 2007 between 1:00 P.M. and 5:00 P.M. But did they actually show up? Of course not! Yes, believe it or not, nobody came. How mad was I? Well, around 5:20, I got on the phone yet again. After waiting perhaps 30 minutes, I finally reached a human being. When I inquired as to why nobody showed up, I was told, "Our technicians are running a little bit behind today. So we might not be able to get someone out to your home until March 12th.

Excuse me... what??? They're running "a little behind" so it may take another week? Does this make the slightest bit of sense to anyone? I couldn't take anymore. I immediately asked to speak with a supervisor. A few minutes later, I was greeted by Kelly. Needless to say, Kelly got an earful! I was angry. I didn't yell and scream. But I was loud! I think I almost had Kelly in tears. She apologized up and down and said she would "try" to expedite it (again) and get someone out on Tuesday. When I asked for further compensation, she denied me, saying I was only allowed one such credit.

So here we are. My wife had now altered her schedule to stay home all day on two different days - for no reason whatsoever.

On Tuesday, I received a phone call from the technician! She said she was on her way, and would be out to my house in 15 minutes. In the distance, I swear I heard the angels singing "Hallelujah." She asked about what she would be doing. When I told her, she said, "Oh, no one needs to be home for that. I can do all that from the outside."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuckin' Verizon...

On Wednesday, the day after the technician showed up, the DSL magically came back on. However, it was running a little slower than usual. I called Verizon to complain. And they told me that because the DSL wasn't scheduled to be turned on until March 12th, they would be unable to troubleshoot with me until that day. The guy surmised that I was probably picking up someone else's signal in the neighborhood. Yeah... right. Oh, and I did have to have them adjust my bill, as I had been charged for continuous DSL service since February 19th, the day it was shut off.

On Wednesday March 14th, I received a phone call from Jennifer at some corporate office in Ohio. They had gotten one of my letters! Jennifer's number is 1-888-821-8377. She again apologized on behalf of the company. She said, "We do not like to hear about things like this." Jennifer was very nice. I updated her on my continuing problems. I asked her if my anger was justified. She said, "Yes." At one point she asked me if there was anything they could do. So I told her some sort of compensation would be nice. Eventually she credited our account an additional $120.00 for all the trouble. So in the end, our total credits for this fiasco was $175.00. Not bad. But I'm not sure it was worth it.

Oh, the DSL connection is still slower than it used to be.

******************************************************************************

UPDATE - 3/16/07 - As it turns out, I am not alone in my disgust with Verizon. Check this guy out. Here's a check he wrote to Verizon a few months ago. Below that is a Youtube recording of a phone call he made to Verizon. I love it!



5 comments:

karmadog said...

Dude. You just don't fuck with a Walrus.

You just don't.

Jeffrey said...

Dear Disgruntled Walrus,

Verizon here. You seem to be operating on the pretense that we actually care about our customers. Let me give you a breakdown of how we operate here at Verizon...oh, and if you think it's any different at U.S. Cellular, Cingular, or any other telecom/communication company, you're more a fool that we're banking on.

See, what we truly, deeply, madly care about is getting lots of your money. Lots of it. Not just a drib and a drab here and there, lots of your money. The fact that our service does not warrant our rates means NOTHING to us here. We're too busy getting all nekkid and bathing in a tub of your money.

Oh, and those enormous wait times on hold you bellyached about? We're on the other end, laughing hysterically that you'd actually stay on hold that long and think we're actually going to help you. Sometimes, for shits n' giggles, we pretend we're from a foreign country and put on an outrageous accent and pretend we can't understand a word you say...why? Again, we like to laugh here almost as much as we like to spend your money.

So please, next time you feel like writing a long letter about our shoddy service, we ask that instead of wasting a stamp you wipe your ass with it and stick it the wall in your living room.

Cordially,
Your Friends at Verizon

Jeffrey said...

P.S. - LOTS of your money.

mimikatemom said...

I see flaming turds in their future...

George Vaccaro said...

wow, thats amazing. and I thought my situation was ridiculous - this takes the cake.

Good luck!
g