Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A CHANCE MEETING?

A few weeks back, there was a discussion about soulmates. I think it was on muscular Officer Brad's blog. Anyway, it got me thinking a step firther beyond my thoughts on the prospect of soulmates.

I don't know if I have a question here. But I just have some thoughts. I'd like to know about how people met their spouse. Now granted, there are some people who grew up near their spouse, or went to school with them. It happens all the time. But I'm quite sure that repersents only a small percentage of married couples. I'm assuming that most people meet their future spouse when they were adults - be it in a bar, in college, or whatever.

In my own situation, I met my wife online. It was Saturday, March 28, 1998. It was 7:00 P.M. That night, I had plans to go to a strip joint - "On The Border" in Milwaukee. At 8:00, Meff's roommate (The Frogman) was coming by to pick me up. We were then going to drive to Meff's video store and pick him up.

So anyway, I had just gotten out of the shower and was getting dressed. I decided to go online to check my E-mail. Now at that time, AOL had some sort of "penpal" thing going on - which was more-or-less like a personals section. I had written to women in there, and had met some as well. I decided to check that section again. Now, AOL also would show a little icon next to those people who happened to be online at that exact moment as well. Since I only had an hour, I didn't feel like writing to anyone. But I figured I'd send an instant message to someone who I found interesting - assuming of course that they were online.

Well, I found someone who happened to be online. So I IM'ed her. This woman would later be my wife. But at the moment, I was a random IM to her. We ended up chatting for about 50 minutes. Meanwhile, I still had to get dressed and find something fast to eat. At the end of that 50 minutes, she asked if I wanted to see her picture. Of course I said yes. So she sent it. I liked what I saw. But then I informed her that I had to run, as someone was picking me up in 10 minutes, and I hadn't dressed or eaten yet. She of course took this to mean I was unimpressed with her photo and was brushing her off. I don't remember what she said. But it was dripping with some "yeah right" sarcasm. I told her she was completely off base, and that I really had to go. I also told her I'd E-mail her back that night, when I got home. I think she believed me for the most part, but wasn't 100% convinced.

Anyway, I did E-mail her back at about 2:00 in the morning or so. And the next day we spoke on the phone. She wanted to come over that night. I was too nervous. So I held her off for a week. But she ended up coming over to my apartment on Sunday April 5th. A few months later we were engaged.

My life with her couldn't be any better than it is. But it made me think about the "what ifs." What if I had decided to watch COPS that night, instead of checking my E-mail? What if she hadn't been online when I went online? If either of those things hadn't occurred, where would my life be today? Would I be single? Would I be married to someone else? Would I live in Wisconsin? Would I have gone out with some pyscho chick who would castrate me while I sleep, and feed my privates to her dog? Maybe I would have met my same future wife three months later.

Who knows...

It just seems weird that the events happened as they did. It's like everything had to come together perfectly for it to happen. One deviation, and the course of life would be altered forever. Am I the only one who had a potential "close call?"

3 comments:

jenny said...

yes there was all sorts of craziness that led me to my husband. for one i really wanted to move to NYC but for some odd reason an intuit told me to go to san diego to get my master's. i was confused,"but i don't like cali" . My first husband and I (we had been separated for a year prior to this) got in our purple Saturn and drove the harsh southern route to San Diego which was a HORRIBLE way, by the way. lots of military and prisons driving through the deserts.yuck! anyway we get to San Diego, I start school, I really am not happy, wondering why I moved here, my husband and I just aren't getting along so I decide to grab some books and head downtown and get lost in a beautiful coffeeshop, Influx on Broadway St. I walk in the joint and instantaneously feel a warmth on my back so I turn around and see this interesting fellow staring at me from across the way. I kept thinking to myself, do I know this guy? he looked so familiar. we kept looking at eachother and then finally after getting a cup of coffee I sat down. I kept looking at him and he looking at me. I noticed what he was studying and I realized we were studying the same thing. I asked him if he was learning Chinese medicine and it turned out we both went to the same college, though he was on the night program and I was taking the day program so we never saw eachother. I recognized his accent and said,"you are not from around here are you?" He exclaimed hell no, I'm from Wisconsin. WoW, me too!!! I moved my stuff to his table we talked about our lives, our goals, our dreams, and like I wrote before he could have asked me to marry him and I would have said yes that day!! well I remembered that i had a small problem, there was husband #1 at home very disgruntled. things took care of themselves and two months after we met he proposed and I said of course!!!! we then hightailed San Diego and moved to Santa Cruz to be closer to San Francisco and finshed our master's program.
what if i would have moved to NYC?
What if i didn't go to Pacific College? What if i went to another coffeeshop? so many more... but i love telling my love story. our's was love at first sight. now isn't that sweet...

Nicole said...

Jenny, you just made my day with that story!

That is just lovely.

karmadog said...

You guys both have great stories. I'll tell mine in my blog soon.

For now, just let me point out that when Mel & I moved back from Boston to WI, we made the trip in a...

Purple Saturn.

There's definitely a Karmic connection in there someplace.