Friday, February 09, 2007

TALKING BACKWARDS

Back in 1979, there was a TV show called "Real People." It was a really cool show featuring people doing amazing things - stunts and such. At the time, I was living in Manitowoc.

One night the show featured a guy who could talk backwards. His name was "Uncle Backwards" or something like that. I'm sure that wasn't his birth name though. Anyway, around that same time (probably shortly after the show) there was a small article in the newspaper about talking backwards. According to the article, people weren't supposed to be able to do that. In fact, the article said that if you knew someone who could, they wanted you to call the phone number they provided.

Well, I can talk backwards. At the time, I was a little kid. But I had been talking backwards for fun, for several years. I used to do it for my friends at school. They'd get a big kick out of it. My parents new of this talent of mine, and called the number. As it turned out, the person I spoke to on the phone were affiliated with the guy I'd seen on TV. In fact, they even let me talk to him for a few minutes.

A few weeks later, these two guys flew to Wisconsin to interview me for some sort of magazine or study. They brought tape recorders and put me through a bunch of tests to gauge my abilities. Apparently there was one other person somewhere in the country they went to see as well. They wanted to compare and contrast our "styles." It was all kind of weird to me. But it was kind of cool too. Our time together lasted a couple of hours. And that was it. There was to be no fame or fortune for me.

A year or two later, another TV show came on the air. This show was called "That's Incredible" - which was basically a carbon copy of "Real People." And lo and behold, that "Uncle Backwards" guy appeared on their show as well.

Then when I was in 8th grade, out of the blue, the two guys who had interviewed me years earlier, somehow tracked me down again. We were living in Two Rivers at that time. They wanted to fly in again and interview me. So they did. This time I taped it as well. I still have the tape. They even showed me the magazine that I had appeared in. They spent about 90 minutes with me, then left. I've not heard from them since.

When I was a junior in high school, Meff and I were talking on the phone one night. And I was telling him about my ability to talk backwards. He was a bit skeptical. Then again, he's skeptical about most things. So he challenged me. He asked me to not only say, but to actually sing the entire Flintstones' theme - backwards. Well, I guess I was up for the challenge. With no practice at all, I breezed through the entire song, in the proper time as well. When it was all said and done, he was laughing his ass off and telling me how amazing that was.

This is a true story. Maybe I should film myself singing the Flintstones' theme backwards once again, and put it in Youtube. What a trip! I think I will.

19 comments:

karmadog said...

If you tape yourself saying:

"EE-SOUP AHM-AHM OO-E-KUSS"

and play it backwards, it's pretty cool.

TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

LOL - That gave me the biggest laugh of the day!

Mr. Pagel, you're so refined!

jenny said...

Now Mr.Pagel, he's a classy guy!!
heeheehee

THE GOON said...

CAN YOU WALK BACKWARDS?

TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Yes, I can walk backwards too. I just can't do both at the same time.

Anonymous said...

The show wasn't "Real People," it was "America's Funniest People," hosted by Dave Coulier and Arleen Sorkin. "Uncle Backwards" is Dan Gertz, my godfather. He submitted a video of himself singing "Pop Goes the Weasel," and they liked it so much they hired him to perform "A Most Unusual Day," which he did backwards. He did one other production video for them, but quit because they had him dub singing normally over the backward-playing video.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

Hey!!! I can talk backwards too!! I've been able to do it for as long as I can remember without even thinking about it! It's great enterainment for family and friends. :)

Anonymous said...

i can also speak backwards its kinda weird though if im saying "i like peanut butter" it would be "i kile tuneep rettub" i say how its pronounced not spelled and i do each word individually

Mahnrub said...

Yeah I've been talking backwards since I was 6 years old. Friends love it. i can sing backwards and stuff too. Pretty fun. Does anyone know what the reason for being able to do this is, or if it has a "scientific" name?

Filipinoboy said...

I'm glad to know that there are lots of people out there like me. Haha
I can talk backwards too! I have two ways of doing this, though. It could either be say it backwards the way it's pronounced. But I can also say it backwards the way it's spelled! I can also sing backwards!!! Lastly, I can do it per word and I can even recite a whole phrase/sentence backwards. Except for the longest word, though. Hahaha

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across this blog while looking for a video I saw years ago of a guy walking and singing "A most unusual day" -- but he did it all backwards while shooting, then the video was produced in reverse! It was amazing, but I can't find it on the web. Anyone know? It looks like I've found a treasure chest of people that have this talent. -dj-

Dan Gertz said...

Hello, my name is Dan Gertz. I appeared on America's Funniest People talking backwards and they called me Dr. Backwards. That production turned out to be a flop though. You can YouTube Dan Gertz and watch The Backwards Singer. That productions was a big hit. It was directed by David Wechter, who had already directed music videos and knew instinctively what to do with my talent.. None of the other directors I worked with on that show had the slightest clue what they were doing. Let me know if you'd like to contact me further. Danny

Unknown said...

I would love to see that video again, but I've searched YouTube and can't find it. It was so amazing when I saw it as a kid, I couldn't believe it was real!

Please, Danny, if you have the video, post it online!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristine Kruszelnicki said...

Dan Gertz' backwards video from AFV is here: Still one of the best things I ever saw on that show! https://youtu.be/lxsSJibiMtk

Kristine Kruszelnicki said...

Here you go :)
https://youtu.be/lxsSJibiMtk

Kristine Kruszelnicki said...

Have you gone on to do anything else Dan? That's a real talent that could go viral! You could do remakes of all sorts of songs and music videos and make serious ad revenue on YouTube. I'd follow!

Kristine Kruszelnicki said...

Here you go :)
https://youtu.be/lxsSJibiMtk